PDA

View Full Version : Cost of living differences between USA and Bretagne?

pick
04-24-2009, 05:27 AM
Cost of living differences between USA and Bretagne?

Does anyone have a resource that can help me advise a friend moving from the USA to Bretagne on the relative cost of living?

Many thanks in advance.

Amiti*s,

Paul

pick
04-24-2009, 05:29 AM
1. Yoann
Where in Bretagne vs where in USA ?
2. Axel
Hi Paul

I am a Breton but also living in Paris. I can help your friend.
It can be as cheap as your middle West or as expensive as living in a city
Axel

PS Yoann, good comment

3. Paul
Yes, I should have been clearer!

My friend lives in Washington DC. He has an offer in Nantes.

Washington DC is a fairly expensive city.

pick
04-24-2009, 05:30 AM
4. Denis
I'm French and I live in the Washington suburbs. Here are some of my thoughts on some common items:

Housing will likely be cheaper in Nantes. So will healthcare, school, college or/and daycare expenses if your friend has any of those. Food will be about the same: some items will be cheaper (wine, local produce...), some will be more expensive (meat, most restaurants...). Cars, gas, electronics, computers, books, office supplies, furniture, that will likely be more expensive. Car maintenance might be cheaper, but not by much.

BTW, here is a formula to calculate the cost of living for pretty much anyone and anywhere: take your income and add 10%! ;)

pick
04-24-2009, 05:31 AM
5. Frederic

I would say that cost of living os largely a function of lifestyle and is relative to income as well, If you make the same $ in France than in the US you will not worry about cost of living from a general perspective.
I am from Bretagne and live in Orlando, when I go back I feel different about cost comparison everytime depending on the type of vacation I took. Fine dining is more expensive but it is better... So is it more expensive really if it is not the same? All I'll say is do not buy Levis 501 jeans in France...

pick
04-24-2009, 05:32 AM
6. Annabelle
Hi Paul, I am french and i am from Nantes originally. I agree with all the comments above: it all depends on what your friend lifestyle but quality for food and wine are obviously way superior than here! If you need more info do not hesitate to contact me :)

pick
04-24-2009, 05:32 AM
7. Paul
Annabelle and Frederic, thank you! I can tell you that my friend loves food and wine, so I would expect his budget there to be initially extraordinaire, but luckily I've found in France that good wine can be inexpensive if you know where to look, and even the grocery store chicken is superior to that in the USA ... so I expect he'll figure this out!

pick
04-24-2009, 05:33 AM
8. Jean-Marie
Salut Paul, I am French also and I am living in the US since 2000. I agree with everything that has been said here. It's very difficult to give a correct statement as there are so many variables that constitute the cost of living. If your friend is relocating in France on his own another factors to consider is the Tax system that it’s quite different. There are some deduction capabilities and other benefits to reduce tax but usually when you arrive you are not settle in a way that you can benefit from these rules and usually you pay maximum taxes; something to consider. If your friend is relocating for his job through his company usually expatriates have some sort of tax equalization system and what I just said is irrelevant. I hope this help.
About the Levis 501 Jeans … make sure he took some new ones (not too much or the custom will ask questions) with his household move and resale them on ebay … he can make a profit and buy few bottles of wine … of course on ebay.fr … just kidding but it’s somewhat true.